Sunday, August 20, 2006

weekend roundup 2

I think I may hit the sack early tonight, my brain is fried, and my eyes are starting to feel heavy. In a nutshell, Friday for Jo's leaving do was a lot of fun. We started out at a great pub in Highgate Village, where we took over a whole alcove- I love the pub life! I met a lot of "Herefordians" as they called themselves (from Hereford), and a girl who is originally from Leicester-- she was giving Jo advice on things to do-- Jo's new job is apparently in west Leicester. Jo was saying she's nervous about the area, but this girl was trying to convince her it really is a fun place, kind of young and hip I guess. I don't know, I've never been there myself, but thus far, this girl is the first one I've met who has good things to say about it. I told Jo not to worry, any time she wants to get back to London she's got a place to stay for the weekend ;) It sounds like she and James have rented a really sweet house in Rugby, though, so she's got a mix a least, country and city. They drove up yesterday as a matter of fact, bless, after a really late night, so I hope they're happy with their new digs!

Did some more pub-crawling last night, I've got the aching feet to prove it, but no pics from this weekend, sorry. I didn't want to carry a purse, so I had to leave the camera behind. But don't worry, there will be lots of pictures in two weeks or so, when I'm back from Turkey.

Generally speaking, city pubs can be kind of boring in terms of the pubs themselves. If you're in good company, of course you have a good time regardless- but country pubs, or even pubs outside of city center (such as the one in Highgate) are so much more interesting! Lots of nooks and crannies, hidden alcoves, lots of character, uneven flooring, plenty of plush seating, fires (though thankfully it's still not cold enough to need 'em), really nice outdoor seating, and inexplicably cuter and friendlier barmen as a rule. Go figure.

No comments: