Wednesday, August 23, 2006

S.A.D. vs Happy

The past couple of weeks have reminded me why it's no surprise that practically the whole country suffers from S.A.D. (Seasonal Affective Disorder). It's been the running joke at the hospital now that we're into our, what, third week of gray weather. I've been hearing all kinds of things lately about record numbers of therapists trying to get work in the States because of the sky-high pay and no doubt, better weather (wouldn't be surprised if a lot of them wanted to go to Florida or California or something), and I've also been hearing citizens are leaving the country to live abroad in record numbers...Spain seems to be popular. And to address the needs of UK citizens now that fall and winter are fast approaching, a lot of articles are popping up on how exercise is one of the best ways to battle depression, as well as that one I recently talked about where you should count your blessings every day to help learn happiness.

My little patches of happiness tonight have included: giving myself a pedicure with bright-red polish, watching the next episode of SG1, and managing to corner my sister into a phone call since she is moving to Rwanda while I am gone. Oh yes, and a typically raunchy Don Heilala email that had me laughing my butt off, but which I can't share here. I am also very happy as I anticipate sleeping in a bit tomorrow, having a nice, long hot shower, and generally taking my time about things since my flight is an afternoon flight. And I am estatic about tomorrow being the beginning of my next grand adventure! They have even lifted the restriction against hand baggage just in time for me. Wish I could have had an overnight layover in Prague instead of just a few hours, but what can you do (I'm flying Czech Airlines). And when I'm back, I'll then have Spain to look forward to..."it's a beautiful life, oh-oh-oh-oh, it's a beautiful life!"

PS- Check out the link to the Happy Feet trailer on the right sidebar...happy again!

No comments: