Sunday, August 13, 2006

"Love is in the air"

Thought a little Barry White was appropos with the mood of things around here this weekend. Dave turned up with a poem he'd written for Nicole about how she's the one he wants to be with for the rest of his life. He framed it with dried flowers and everything. Made me cry, reading it. Then the two of them took off for their posh night at a five star hotel in central London, just one part of the gifts that Nicole showered on him for his recent birthday. Still to come- a spa day together in October. Meanwhile, Leeanne's Italian stallion has been wandering around the house since Wednesday with his shirt off. She has announced that she is in love, will be going to visit him before her visa runs out in October, and that she may try to get a new visa altogether if he decides he is going to move to London. Haven't seen much of her today, ever since he left for the airport this morning. And as for me, well let's just say I had a good weekend too.

I have to say, I have been having a blast going out dancing since I've been here. Shake it like a salt shaker!! You can get a lot of great house music, reggae, lounge and all of that going out in NYC. Call me cheesy, but I love all the top 40 you get in clubs here, set to a house beat or whatever...you can dance and sing and basically have a ball. And being an OT, I love any opportunity to put on a little bling- dressing up, make up, the whole nine yards. I almost miss needing to wear business casual to work- almost. Cuz it feels good to look good!

Ok, so as for the interview...it went very well for the most part. As I wrote earlier, my presentation was probably more generalized than they would have liked. And I guess I was answering questions that way too, because they redirected me after one answer to specifically address how I would work with patients exhibiting aggressive, emotional problems. And I doubt I gave a very good answer, because I really haven't had to work with patients like that before. The facility was impressive, built in 1999, with its own therapy pool and everything. It's a jointly run venture, both NHS and private. I liked the feel of the place, I liked the staff, I liked the resources available...but they mainly have patients who have suffered some sort of traumatic brain injury. Not really stroke or SCI or anything. I will find out the results tomorrow, but I'm not so sure it's a good fit for me regardless. I'm not working in mental health because I realized it wasn't a good fit for me...traumatic brain injury patients are as much mental health patients as they are physical health, and more to the point, I'm specifically interested in working with stroke patients.

It's been an interesting day today, raining hard on and off all day, with a couple of brief rumbles of thunder thrown in midday. Great day for sleeping in, making phone calls, getting stuff done around the house, and cozying up with a DVD, as I plan to do now. I'll let y'all know the official word when I get the phone call tomorrow. Night!

No comments: