Wednesday, August 02, 2006

The Art of Giving Nothing Away...

I've kind of run out of steam on this latest application...I had a phone conversation with the Senior I OT this afternoon, who pretty much sat the fence as far as encouragement goes. As of this morning, they'd only received 3 apps, which would have been good news, except I don't meet the requirements they ideally want - 3 years of OT experience, 2 years of neuro experience. This is highly unusual for a Senior II position, where they normally want 18 months of OT experience...at 3 years, that's generally Senior I. I guess since they're a specialized Neuro-Rehab facility, they do things a bit differently. Anyway, that's why I called to find out if I should even bother sending my app to them. She pretty much told me that ideally, they'd like someone with the experience, but that they would definitely read my application if I sent it, and their short-list would be determined based on the experience and qualifications of the people who actually applied. So she didn't give anything away about the apps they've already received, and was sort of saying, well you're not really ideally what we're looking for, and I'm not going to tell you if the other apps have more experience than you, but on the chance that we don't get anyone with that kind of experience, you might have a good shot at being interviewed. Arghhh.

So I've done all the application except for an unusual extra piece I haven't seen in any other application, that of a statement about personal development. And by that they mean things that have affected me personally, my personal growth, and how that in turn affected me as an OT. Wonderful, I have to do a self reflection for an application where I don't really meet the requirements. I think the only other times I've been asked to do this were on my applications for universities, and my applications for OT schools. I think I'm for bed, and I'll try to bang this last piece out tomorrow morning.

No comments: