Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Drama

Happy first day of August everyone! Time is flying, as usual. Time for a new countdown, I think- 23 days till I leave for Sarajevo and Turkey!

So the girls of 59 Harrow Rd spent an hour yesterday trying to sort out our monthly bills. An hour! And I'm not even part of the whole phone bill struggle, I pay only a third of the cost for the line that I never use (I use Skype for international calls, and my mobile for UK stuff). Leeanne paid £30 extra toward electricity last month. Well, not extra, she owed it from the month before, but she owed it toward gas, not electricity. You have no idea how much time we wasted trying to sort that out this month- both figuring out that that's what had happened, and then how to divvy up the bill this month in light of that fact. I've lived in a house with three people before, and I can't remember paying the bills ever being this complicated!! And then, back to the phone, Nicole and Leeanne were arguing over a phone number that shows up repeatedly on every month's bill, but no one has ever claimed. So Leeanne storms over to the phone, dials the number and starts speaking to a woman who has answered. For reasons that escape me, Leeanne, a girl who is loud and boisterous in real life, suddenly speaks very quietly with blurred words whenever she's on the phone. So she's saying to this woman, "Who am I through to please?" and even I, sitting right next to her, can't quite figure out what she's asking. She repeats the question 3 times, and gets a bit louder each time, so I finally figure out what she's saying. Evidently the person on the other end didn't want to just give out her details to someone who was not identifying themselves. Suddenly Leeanne's going, "Look, lady, I just want to know who I've called..." and then she's slamming the phone down with some angry comments about people's phone manners. (I hope, I assume the person on the other end hung up first.) All of a sudden, Nicole's calling out, "Wait a minute, maybe that's Dave's number!" And I just died laughing. Laughing so hard I was crying and I got stomach cramps. It turned out it was Dave's number, and Nicole had to call back (they have caller ID, though I'm sure she would have called anyway), and apologize profusely for Leeanne's phone call. I couldn't believe it's been however many months (going on a year almost), and she had not been claiming these numerous phone calls as her own, when they were all to her own boyfriend!!

And then we were on to a throw-down about the cleaning schedule...long story short, we eventually talked Leeanne down, and sorted out who was doing what.

To wind down from our bills fiasco, and to celebrate the job apps, I had a glass of the Bardolino red wine I'd brought back from Italy...absolutely delicious, and just what the doctor ordered. Oh, and film four finally had something watchable on, I tuned in just in time to see the second half of Road to Perdition, something which I'd seen the first half of on a plane over a year ago, but we landed and I never saw the rest.

No comments: