Tuesday, August 15, 2006

the forward lean

I've been an honorary physio this morning, because only one physio turned up to run the balance class with six patients. So I helped to guide them through the stations, made up things to do on the wobble board, had them stepping down both sides of the step-- not really what the physio normally has them do, but there wasn't time to train me first, and I think Sarah was just glad someone was willing to help out. Nothing wrong with having a little fun with it!

We had one lady who has somehow developed a compensatory strategy for poor dynamic standing balance of shifting her pelvis backward, resulting in an amazing forward lean from her ankles on up to her head. I mean, she looked like a downhill skier as she tried to balance on the wobble board, she was leaning that far forward. Shame we don't have a full length mirror here, because though we tried to explain it to her, and correct the alignment of her pelvis, I always think seeing this type of thing for yourself is the most powerful intervention.

Update from yesterday, Dr. K has apparently decided to actually take some time off, and is dealing with some residual facial weakness and who knows what else. I hope he has people around him telling him to take it easy, and slow down.

Oh, and congrats Viv! I'll give you a call tonight I hope, see if I can catch you at home after work. It's very exciting, Viv and I are in the beginning stages of planning our trip to Thailand and the Philippines for end of March 2007 (not actually all that far away)!!

No comments: