Friday, June 09, 2006

"We're gonna win the cup..."

The radio station that I wake up to in the mornings ran a contest a while back for listeners to design a world cup anthem, and now I hear the winning entry over and over and over again. (The refrain is what I have listed as my subject.)

Today is the big day, the start of the World Cup! News stations have been broadcasting from Frankfurt all week, talking to fans, showing the venue, dissecting the players from whom the most is expected. Yesterday they ran a story on how bobbies (UK policemen) are working cooperatively with the German police to keep the order. Evidently they expect some violence with emotions running high plus drunk Englishmen overflowing with patriotic pride.

Nicole and I will be going along to a pub on Monday, because we found out a lot of Americans are getting together to watch the US take on the Czech Republic. In FIFA standings, the US is ranked #4 worldwide, Czech Republic #2.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Allison, I'm jealous that you're witnessing all the World Cup hype and anticipation. I love being in England during major football competitions - the whole country goes insane. There's bugger all hype here - just the odd mention of the US team playing on Monday. Thankfully, ESPN are showing every game live and I have the whole weekend off. I'll be glued to my TV at 9am tomorrow morning to watch England's first game. Enjoy being in the UK at this time, the World Cup is a real trip...