Monday, June 12, 2006

"Oh-lei-oh-lei-oh-lei-oh-lei"

"We're havin' a heat wave...a tropical heat wave" OR, for those of you who are fans of Muppet's Christmas Carol, "Heat wave! This is my island in the sun, Oi, Oi!" It's been a record high here in London, most definitely not a day to be riding the tube, but that is exactly what Nicole and I found ourselves doing after work, to support the boys in red, white and blue.

Let's see, I met a gigantic German Shepherd with American flag bandana tied around its neck, I had a heated debate with a Marine regarding George Bush- in the end I think he is not a fan of ole Dubya anymore than anyone else, but voted for him because he believed there wasn't anyone better to replace him (but shh, don't tell him that, he thinks Bush is the man). I found out about Mexican restaurants in the London area, apparently none of which are anything to write home about. We had a great argument going for awhile about why soccer (football) and therefore the World Cup isn't big in the US-- is it because it's a low-scoring game, is it because the companies paying for commercials push basketball and American football and therefore the big money is to be made here rather than soccer (for players and sponsors alike) etc. Whatever the reason, Americans are missing out. People seemed to be surprised that I was really following the games, but I am a soccer girl at heart, from having played 12+ years of it, and coming from that kind of background, you can't help but appreciate the beauty of the sport, and get into the spirit of it. To be fair though, it was a far cry from having seen the England game on Saturday...tons of Englishmen, clustered standing around the TVs, mouths hanging open until it's time to make the appropriate roar, or sing the appropriate nonsense phrase. Tonight, as I looked around, more people were paying attention to conversation in the pub than to the game.

I must admit, I was really disappointed in my boys...they came out of the tournament four years ago with their best World Cup appearance to date, and ranked 7th in the world in FIFA standings. This evening it was like they were somewhere else. They certainly weren't playing as a team, and though the Czech Republic is certainly a contender, the Americans should never have been as handily beaten. I hang my head in shame and hope this serves to fire them up and get their heads in the game, but quick! If I'm not wrong, Italy's up next!

Speaking of Italy, they also played tonight. And ok, I lied in an earlier post. I am supporting the US, England AND Italy. Well, until the US and Italy go head to head, at which point I will have to go with the Stars and Stripes. Italy did come with their game heads on tonight, starting with an absolutely beautiful rocket from outside the box to a low corner of the goal. I mean, it was a bullet with perfect placement. I got some dirty looks as I shot my hands in the air to celebrate, screaming "Yes!" and was even asked whether I was Italian, but I couldn't help myself. It was a thing of beauty and for tonight at least, my loyalties didn't have to be divided. Poor Ghana, but viva l'Italia!

We met a couple who have been in a long distance relationship since 2001. The girl is American, from a very religious Christian family in Ohio, and her fiance is Indian British. Actually, as it turns out, they are already married in a simple ceremony in front of the registrar in March-- once they decided to finally live together in the same place, she came over in February and they had to do the civil ceremony for her to be able to both stay and work. But their families don't know about that, they only know about the official ceremony planned for a church in Ohio and the elaborate Indian wedding planned for London. Their families also don't know that they met online, as they felt that it was trauma enough (with their two families practicing completely different and strict religious faiths) to accept the marriage in the first place. I don't know why they shared such details with us, since no one else knows...maybe it was the heat.

As I've had way too much cider tonight, a work night, I think that's it for now. I'm off for a cold shower, water to hydrate, and bed, though I am sure to be sticking to my sheets again tonight. Lovely.

No comments: