Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Freckle Face

Saturday I was in the sun all day at Thorpe Park, although as I said before, I thankfully was able to avoid sunburn even without sunblock. Sunday I spent a good couple of hours out in the park, although it was after "high sun" time. Today sitting outside for lunch, I turned a bit pinkish on my arms within 20-25 minutes. Before any of this, I had already been told after returning from Italy that I had more freckles. Sadly at this point, I think I'm pretty much a freckle-face. And the good weather is set to continue-- and freckles notwithstanding, I'm very much enjoying the weather. Even on through the weekend, it's supposed to gorgeous.

This afternoon I've had work to do- hurrah! There are two OTs out on annual leave this week, so pretty much all week I will be coming over to the main department in the afternoons to help cover as they are very short-staffed. This is making me very happy. I have felt a bit like a deer in headlights today as the work is the same, but I don't know my way around the huge hospital at all, nor how the wards run on an individual basis, but I think I've got the basics down now.

I've been struggling to settle in since I moved back in February. Though I have kept myself very busy, I do feel much more isolated and lonely than I had thought I would. Part of it is that while I speak the same language, there are still cultural differences, and differences in how the country runs. And part of it is that I make myself out as different, and have convinced myself that everyone sees me as different...to be honest, I don't know why I've done that to myself. In the US, it's not like I'm average or normal. There are all different cultures, backgrounds, values, accents and whatnot all over the place, and that didn't stop me from being myself. So I'm going to stop making myself out to be such an island unto myself here, thinking that people are always judging me.

A couple of shoutouts:
Tress- congrats once again, I am thinking of you all day today, and I am with Mom and Dad and Jinny in spirit, as you officially graduate.
Kristy girl- I've been listening to a new band (well, new to me) called "The Fray" and I think I really like them. If you haven't already heard of them, check them out, I think you'll like their music too.

No comments: