Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Oh, the tangled webs we weave...

Beaurocracy and red tape are just so much fun! I had a phone call from the daughter-in-law of a former patient at the Day Hospital. They need a new type of commode that will fit over the top of their toilet, and as the patient only left an in-patient rehab ward at my hospital a week ago, they first phoned up the OTs there. The daughter-in-law was told by the OTs there to phone social services. Social services said to phone the person who originally issued the commode (Ann, my supervisor, who is still on her Easter holiday). However, since the patient was discharged from the Day Hospital, we can't provide services for her at the moment. It just seems ridiculous...I suppose the rehab OTs couldn't provide a new commode for the same reason, but it's just become a game of passing the buck. I've told the poor woman I'll have Ann call her back next week, and hopefully we'll be able to assist in finding the right person to get them a new commode.

I am without enough work again, but no one at the main department needs any help, aside from someone to sit in the office and man the phones...which is a waste of resources to have me do that, but with nothing better to do...I mean I'd just be sitting at the Day Hospital trying to look busy, same as here. I know I was stressed out over caseload in NJ, and was wishing I could have a more manageable number of patients to be seen daily, but I hadn't wanted this much of a reduction! Combine that with I'm not really enjoying doing discharge work/home modification, and I'm already looking forward to my next rotation, which is months away!

No comments: