Thursday, April 27, 2006

It's a mental thing

Job update: Ran one falls ed group this morning, went to a dept meeting for an hour and a half right after lunch, saw one patient, only had an hour to kill at the end of the day.

I had a patient today who is generally doing very well for herself. She is able to manage all of her personal care, all of her own cooking and household tasks, and still uses the bus to get around, including to get to the grocery store. However, as we went through the initial interview (as opposed to initial eval), it came about that she is currently fearful about getting into and out of her bath. She does still do it independently, but is concerned about falling. She has a non slip mat, but does not have grab rails apparently. However, when I suggested that I come round to have a look, and organize grab rails for her through the borough, she backtracked and said oh, but I do very well, I'm very independent, I don't need help etc. And I do find this, where people think that using equipment or accepting help means they are no longer independent. And no matter how well you can articulate that you want to support their independence, not take it away, and make them feel safe in their daily activities, some people just have the idea in their heads that if they don't take care of things themselves, they're no longer independent. The best I was able to get from my patient was that if she can't get grab rails installed herself, she'll give me a call.

No comments: