Sunday, April 09, 2006

Early Easter and new words

My parents arrived early this morning, and I discovered in the process of going to meet them that the underground doesn't open on Sundays until 7am. We wrestled all the suitcases (in fairness, half of what they brought what mine) onto the underground, and arrived at Oxford Hotel to discover it was the wrong hotel. We actually wanted The Oxford Hotel (note the addition of "The") which is near Lancaster Gate in Hyde's Park, but it was close so we took a taxi instead of getting back on the tube. It's a tiny little room with a shower you can't turn around in (for those of you who have travelled in Europe, it's evident that we Americans are obsessed with space, our hotel rooms being just one example)...however it will suit their purposes just fine for the next few days.

We left after they'd checked in, and went to have a look at Petticoat Lane Market, which to be honest wasn't all that exciting. As my mom pointed out, there wasn't much variety, mainly clothing and shoes. Although there was one stall which had purses laid out with shoes that exactly matched each purse, which I thought was funny. We had Indian food on Brick Lane for linner, or maybe dunch if you prefer, and then walked through Spitalfields Market on our way back to the hotel. Spitalfields Market looked a lot better in my opinion, though we only really walked through it. However, Camden Lock Market is still the best I think, and as soon as the weather warms up just a tad more, I plan to go back. Well that, and I'm waiting for pay day in about a week and a half, since I'm giving my parents a bunch of money from my account this week to take back and put into my American account for student loans.

Next stop was my house, both so my parents could get rid of all the stuff they'd brought for me, and because I was in need of my father's services to figure out how to assemble a cheap desk. The desk is now finished, and going through all the stuff they'd brought was like Christmas! Er, I guess I should say, like Easter! I now have two pairs of scrub pants the same color as my uniform pants, so I plan to start wearing them instead. I have lots of cosmetic supplies, and lots of food supplies that I can't find here. And I will admit, I may have gone over board on the clothing I've brought over, now that my parents have brought the last of it...they wanted to know how on earth I'm going to get everything back! Ooh, and they brought me egg crates for my bed! It's heaven on earth.

Some new words for this week...you know how Britney Spears is always being described in magazines these days as acting/looking "trailer trash"? Evidently, they use the word "chav" here to mean the same thing. And then there's "lash"...all I can say there is that it has something to do with drinking, because it can be used in so many ways, one example being someone going out the bars might say, "I'm gonna lash it up tonight!" I think you can also be "on the lash".

I think I'm going to get ready for bed, mmm, my newly comfy cozy bed, and will turn on the new Harry Potter dvd (thanks Mom & Dad), and crash. I was up until almost 5am on Saturday playing Texas Hold 'Em, and out again for a couple of hours last night dancing, and I am wrecked. I could sleep for 12 hours I think.

No comments: