Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Classic

We went to see One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest in the West End last night. My parents wanted to see Movin' Out, but offered to get me a ticket for One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest since they knew I wanted to see it. I said that was silly since they were here to visit me, and even though I didn't really want to see Movin' Out, told them to get tickets for that (they were at the half price ticket booth in Leicester Square). By the time I'd joined them, they had tickets for One Flew...because the woman at the ticket booth told them the seats for Movin' Out weren't good at all. And we could hardly have gotten better seats for One Flew... since we were smack in the middle of the dress circle, second row, in a small intimate theater. Christian Slater and Alex Kingswood (ER) were starring. And it was really, really good! I was not familiar with the story, even though it's a classic, and my mom, who'd seen the movie and didn't expect to like the play, thought it was excellent. Christian Slater has put on a fair bit of weight, but has managed to retain a six-pack somehow (insert wolf whistle here), and was excellent as an imposter crazy man. It's quite disturbing at the end, and raises issues about mental health treatment (takes place in a mental institution), past and present, but the play was really funny as well. I was very impressed with the cast as an ensemble, and what I tend to call "off-ball movement"...carries over from playing soccer from the time I was 6 until I was 18, where the coaches always wanted you to be moving when you didn't have the ball to create opportunities for you teammate who did have the ball to pass it to you. I kept this term as I moved into doing musicals and plays in high school. Anyway, these actors were all very good at character development while the action was not focused on them.

I'm meeting my parents tonight after work for dinner, and then I think we've planned to do a guided walk, although it's raining at the moment, so we may scrap that bit of the plan. Might end up being for the best, as I have a ton of laundry to be doing at home. Have been very introspective lately, kind of reviewing my place in life at the moment, but not really appropriate for a public blog, sorry ;) Love to all.

No comments: