Friday, March 24, 2006

TGIF

It's been somewhat of an interesting day...the BT engineer came over to our house this morning. My roommate Nicole had the day off, and she sent me a text saying all of our phone lines are working again, but he was unable to sort out our internet problems. Agghhh. I really don't care what it costs at this point, there has got to be some internet service that we can get to work at the house! I had a meeting with my supervisor this morning to talk about my objectives specific to the Day Hospital (which should be achieved by end of September), as well as my PDP (personal development plan). Evidently the PDP is much more tailored to my goals as an OT overall...for example, I can develop a plan to gain more experience working with adults who've suffered stroke, and suggest courses I might be able to take, the fact that I'd like to work on a stroke rotation, etc. I'm happy to know I'm not restricted in my Personal Development Planning by whatever rotation I happen to be on. I would mention EI, but as there isn't really such a thing over here, it's probably not worth it at the moment. This afternoon, 6 wards at the hospital were shut down due to D&V (diarrhea and vomiting), and the physios who work at the day hospitals also work part time on the wards. We had to send all of their patients home without having seen a physio, because our physios are effectively quarantined at least until Monday (the infection control team doesn't want staff members who have been on "closed" wards to work on "open" wards after having been exposed themselves). It's all a bit foreign to me, given that this has never been necessary in hospitals I've worked in in the US. If some of the staff members working on those 6 wards today were to develop D&V themselves, they'd then be on a mandatory 10 day sick leave. And finally, I had a very sweet patient tell me this afternoon that I should get married and have children, because I'm a pretty girl and I'll have pretty children, and it would be a shame for me not to marry. She told me I had plenty of time, what was I, 20? 22? She was shocked at my real age, but then laughed and said I had plenty of time. I must say, I quite agree ;) And the whole, what are you doing over here refrain, with various derogatory comments being made about the UK, is beginning to become a bit of a broken record. I'm happy to say it's doesn't really bother me any more.

I don't have any big plans for the weekend...bit of a girls night out tonight with Nicole, sort of in the financial district area of London, to see who we might meet ;) but other than that, I'll just see if anything else develops. I'm hoping to join the gym, that is if they don't need the initial payment immediately. Otherwise, I might see if I can't figure out some sort of trip within England for my 3-day weekend next weekend.

And I will be writing an update email to our little BSOT group, but since I've meaning to say something ever since I got the initial email and then the pictures...Julie and Joey, congratulations!! What an absolutely beautiful little baby. This must be the thrill of your lives, and we are all smiling from ear to ear for your happiness!

Love to all, Allison.

No comments: