Tuesday, March 14, 2006

my first free drink at a pub:

After work yesterday, I went into the city to meet Viv because we wanted to do a Jack the Ripper walk at 7:30. We had a quick dinner and then went to a pub to warm up before our 2 hour walk. And at this pub, the bartender mistook my request for a half pint of cider as "I'll have a pint of cider"...and then I was bought my first drink by a London man, an additional half pint of cider. Unfortunately, that man was the pub manager, a chap of around 60ish- oh well! However, what this also meant was that about an hour into the walk, Viv and I were sprinting for a pub to use the toilet! And rushing, rushing so we wouldn't lose the tour, and probably confusing the heck out of the bartenders, who thought they had some customers! The tour was very good, very interesting, but for awhile there I thought I might have to find some bushes... ;)

So Cambridge...we saw several of the colleges, which were very beautiful, including the incredible chapel at Kings College. We learned a lot about the history of Cambridge, did some shopping at the weekend market, walked along "The Backs" with beautiful views of the colleges across the river Cam, and spent some time in the Fitzwilliam museum. We had a great night out on the town Sat night, with a lot of wine involved. And luckily we had booked into a wonderful b&b with an amazing breakfast, a very nice room, and very nice proprietors. On Sunday, we ended up in a pub for lunch on the outskirts of the city, where we saw some of the England v France rugby game (England was pounded), and ended up having to literally run to make our bus since we lost track of time a bit in the pub. (Not due to drink, mind you, I had a lime a soda!) Good thing I spent that month in the gym before I left! I do have pics, but still no internet at home, so I can't put any on here yet. And as I need to grab some lunch before our break is over, that's it for now. Love to all, Allison.

No comments: