Thursday, March 23, 2006

Fiver (five pounds)

Midge and I are in agreement that the planets have been doing some sort of energetic dance for a bit now, upsetting the order of things...Midge suggested a polka, I'm thinking maybe salsa (one step forward, two steps back). Hopefully, they'll be getting back into rhythm soon. I am seeing potential signs of it, with my bank visit yesterday, and a phone call from BT saying they'll be out tomorrow to our house to check out our DSL line.

I'm feeling quite a bit restless tonight...I guess since I had plans to be out that were postponed, I'm trying to figure out what to do with myself instead. Given that I unfortunately spilled an Indian curry type dish all down myself when I was startled by the phone ringing while eating dinner, I suppose laundry might be a good idea.

Interestingly enough, I had an email today that said Coldplay would be world-premiering their new video on Channel 4 late tonight. I don't know if that's a Coldplay thing or a UK thing, but I think it's cool they're doing this on a public access channel-especially since we only get 5 channels via our antenna ;)

I found out today that there's something called the Whipps Cross University Hospital Five Pounds Club, where every so often, the staff at my hospital can get tickets to West End shows for five pounds (fiver). Not for all plays/musicals mind you, but when the offer comes up, it's generally pretty good. Like today, I was able to book two tickets to see a new Andrew Lloyd Webber musical called Whistle Down the Wind for next week. And with the booking fee, it was still only 12 pounds for both! For tickets that would otherwise have been 20-30 pounds. Now, if they would only offer tickets for One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Next with Christian Slater...hmm, maybe I can find someone to take me ;)

This week's new word: poncey. I've no idea how it's spelled, that's my best guess. But it essentially means snobby, I think, or perhaps stuck up. Or maybe somewhat similar to posh; someone who looks down their nose sort of thing...you get the idea.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Allison, poncey is usually a derogatory term for someone who may be a wee bit effeminate, so in essence, it's homophobic and not too nice. However, it has been diluted somewhat over the years and people often use it in the way you defined it, albeit in ignorance of the true origin.

Allison said...

My apologies to Midge and anyone else who saw my choice of word for the week and initially thought I was being really rude! I'm glad I defined it as it had been explained to me, since I wasn't aware of it's true origin and would never consciously use derogatory terms. Thanks for the lesson, Midge. :)