Monday, March 06, 2006

Aussies, Kiwis, and finally! A bank account!

A couple of things to write about today, since I was unable to get onto Blogger over the weekend. First of all, it's been bugging me all the Yankee baseball caps I see people wearing over here. Yankee fans get a lot of **** in the US, basically bc other fans think it's not hard to be a Yankees fan since they win a lot. However, the past few years the Yanks haven't gone to the World Series, and I haven't given up on them or changed my allegiance. Even living in Red Sox Nation, I still followed the Yanks. But wearing my baseball cap over here is basically meaningless, no one is really going to look at it and think, oh she's a Yankees fan. At most they'll think I like the US/New York, or American fashion. Argh.

I did successfully open a bank account today, yay, with the help of a very friendly young woman at HSBC. Of course, my account is technically approved until the end of the week, but it's finally a step in the right direction. Wonder when I'll find out what my NID number is?

This weekend, I went on a boat cruise (yes, yes, alright a booze cruise) on the Thames river. I only had two beers, since I knew I had plans for the following day, but I met a bunch of really nice Australians who are acquaintances of my roommate Nicole. Nicole took some great pictures, one in particular where we are framed again the Tower Bridge which is all lit up since the tour was at night...as soon as I can access the internet from home (hopefully by tomorrow if Leanne and I can figure out how to set it up), I will post those photos from the boat cruise on here. Sunday, I went to "The Church," which is not religious services (although I suppose it probably was to some who were there) but rather drinking and dancing and general merriment. I met a bunch of people Nicole knows who are from New Zealand there...all really nice for the most part-- except I was cold, so Nicole asked one of the guys to dance with me and warm me up...unfortunately he was a bit drunk and I had a bit of trouble getting rid of him, end of the afternoon. He eventually realized I was serious about having to work on Monday, and would not be joining the rest of them for an "afterparty" at an Australian pub, because I just walked off with Nicole and her boyfriend. So "The Church" was fun, although I don't think I'll repeat the experience very often...I like my Sundays for relaxing and gearing up for the work week!

I am getting ready for Viv's arrival on Thursday, hopefully getting everything together for a weekend in Cambridge. She'll spend most of her time here with me, I think, although she does have another friend she'll probably spend a few nights with as well. But I'm coming up with plans for the second weekend she'll be here as well-- see what trouble we can get into! Right, Viv?! I've been getting some advice on nightclubs...

I think that's it for now...it's been sunny and cold here the past few days, although it is raining at the moment. Believe it or not, the UK is actually in something of a drought! love to all, allison.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Allison
I noticed that the Yankee baseball cap became popular in the UK after 9/11. I guess it was the easiest way for folk to show solidarity with the city...

Anonymous said...

we can both walk around london with Yankee caps and shirts. i'm sure steve will love it!!!Go Yankees!!! see you thurs bright and early with the orange luggage in hand - viv