Wednesday, March 01, 2006

short and sweet

I've noticed my entries have been a bit wordy, and a bit philosophical lately...Allison's views on life which are likely to change as I go along ;) Sorry about that, I'll try to get back to the shorter entries, though it's harder when I don't update every day. Yesterday and today have been very cold but very sunny, which I'm loving. Today I actually felt pretty warm outside in the sun during lunch. It's going to stay pretty cold here for awhile, but with the first of March, it does feel like spring is that much closer.

I made a pretty awful batch of pancakes from scratch last night...we don't have measuring cups, and I haven't quite got the measurements by eye here yet like I do with American measurements...they were edible, it's just that I do pride myself on being something of a good cook, and I would need more practice with making them from scratch! However, Leanne made some gorgeous paper thin crepe-like pancakes, and Nicole had some contraband Bisquick, so we had some American-style pancakes as well. We threw in blueberries and bananas, and although the maple syrup was missing, we made do with lemon juice, sugar and cinnamon.

I ran my first group today, part of a Falls Prevention series, at the Day Hospital. It was a pretty straightforward topic, but I figure the senior OT was also counting on the experience I'd already had working in NJ, since she's never seen me run a group before. She did offer to sit in on the group, but obviously had a lot of work to catch up on, so I said I'd be fine, and that was that. I suppose if I'd never run a group before I would have been nervous, but it went off without a hitch, despite a few differences in what I call things, and what they are apparently called over here. (For example, they're not home health aides, they're carers, or it's not a tub, it's a bath.) It's still very slow, but I think I'll start to have work to do from now on, and I was told today I could always call up the acute OT dept to see if they needed help if I'm ever bored.

That's it for now, I think I'm going to cook a really nice dinner tonight, so it's time to head for home. love, allison

No comments: