Tuesday, March 21, 2006

banking

well, i went round to the bank in person today, and was told my application had been rejected. i had not been told earlier (they ignored my protests that i had called repeatedly and no one was bothered to give me this information over the phone) because the person i had my initial appt with has been on holiday. since the original appt had been with this one particular woman, no one else felt any responsibility to follow up and tell me there had been a problem. customer service is a rare indeed over here. i think i shall be writing my first letter of complaint in this country a bit later on this week.

my application was rejected because my passport is expired (evidently, though i told her about it, the woman i had my first appt with did not photocopy the page at the back of my passport stating it is good until 2009)...and also because they were unable to verify my employment.

to top off this whole murphy's law debacle, i wouldn't be surprised if whipps cross payroll dept were to deny knowledge of my existence as a new employee on payday next week, and say i'll have to wait until end of april to be paid. now i've done everything in my power, contacting my manager and HR to make sure i will be paid by check at least, but i'm just saying, i wouldn't be surprised. if i do get the check next week, all i can do with it is take it to a cash converter, who will charge a hefty 5% of the total amount of my pay to cash it for me. dad, can you please double check for me that affinity accepts foreign checks? i think on the whole it's a better option to mail it back than to take it to the cash converter here.

meanwhile, i've had to beef up my american account with money from my ing savings account which were earmarked for a down-payment on a townhouse or something. ouch!

No comments: