Thursday, July 20, 2006

A long summer afternoon

Whee...no patients on Birch ward either, since my one patient from yesterday was rather suddenly taken home by her son. I think he was pissed off because he said he wanted carers twice a day and he didn't care that his mother wants to stick with only once a day because he has power of attorney. So the social worker had to come and explain that actually power of attorney doesn't mean he can do that. So he apparently said something along the lines of well, fine, but then I'm taking her home right now.

So I rolled up my scrubs, put on my flip flops and have been sitting behind the desk writing discharge summaries. And thinking about the air conditioner wars my sister and I had in Hawaii. I turned it on, she turned it off, I turned it on, she turned it off or switched to fan only, and so on. I wanted it on at night, since I don't have the luxury of AC here, and she wanted it off, because ever since the Peace Corps she's had this distorted sense of hot and cold. She's been known to wear sweatshirts mid-summer. I think I should have been allowed to win those wars, since it was my only chance at sleeping in a cool room this summer, but what do I know?

My family has taken off driving to Michigan this morning for an extended family reunion. Unfortunately, my grandfather fell again last week, and has a bruised and stitched up face. Huh, I guess he and my dad can compare stitches (that story to come tonight with a few more pics). Luckily, he was just outside the doctor's office for an appt at the time, so he got help quickly, but ended up in the hospital for treatment. I'm sure it's not the way he wanted to appear for the reunion and my heart is with him.

Most of my pics from Hawaii are now on Flickr, I think, and I've been uploading videos to YouTube, but I won't bore you with more rope swing and jumping off cliff ones. There are also a couple videos that highly amuse me because they're just me and Tress standing at water's edge, or treading water in front of a waterfall since we hadn't been told it was a video as opposed to a still shot. Not really blogworthy though with their lack of action ;)

Uh-oh. Just heard there may be a train strike tomorrow, I need to go check this out so I can come up with a backup plan for tomorrow evening. I just hope the Cotswolds are cooler than London!

No comments: