Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Lighthouse Family

I remember I first discovered Lighthouse Family when I went "home" to England for the first time...it was during college, for winter break 1996-1997. I was blown away by the lead singer's vocals (I am also a big fan of Seal), and bought the CD to bring back with me. Lighthouse Family had been big in the UK for some time, but were relatively unknown in the US.

It has been quite amusing to sort of follow along with popular music moving back and forth beween the UK and the US...for instance, the Corrs were another band I discovered that first winter break I spent with my family in Sunninghill. Three years later, they had some mild success with "Runaway" in the US, and at the present time are pretty well known over here. I worked in New York City for two years, and I think it was the summer of 2001, I had the pleasure of watching them perform live on the Today Show in Rockefeller Square. Of course, I was something like an hour late for work, but so worth it!

And then during my term in Oxford, I left for England at a time where Americans were pretty much sick of Outkast's "Hey yeah" and Usher's "Yeah" because they'd been so overplayed on the radio. But when I arrived in Oxford, they hadn't yet hit...about a month later, they were all over the radio in the UK.

However, Lighthouse Family takes the cake I think...I don't know how long the album had been out in the UK when I discovered it, but "You and Me" has just now started getting some air time on US radio stations, 10 years later from when I first heard it! Maybe it had something to do with the lyrics from "One" being used in a Coke commercial within the past year, who knows...

No comments: