Friday, February 10, 2006

Clydz, take two

As I'm trying to type this, Gerry is snuggling up behind my back on the kitchen chair, demanding attention, since I spent the night away. Boy, am I going to miss her.

So Jenn and I did make it to Clydz last night...they had a cozy little fire going, and it wasn't too crowded. I wanted a "Don't drink too many of these," but they were all out of cinnamon and sugar vodka, so I had a classic sour apple martini, and something called Sweet and Sour Mash. And I discovered that no matter what you mix with it, I am NOT a Jack Daniels girl. Oh well. The Tej at Makeda's made up for it, where Jenn and I split the vegetable combination platter and a shrimp dish. The conversation ranged from Valentine's Day (and I realized I still have to give Chris "the talk" before I leave, given that I have a long reach if need be from London) to visualizing the next 3-5 years, to...well, it was deep conversation, but I'm afraid I'm still now a bit post-alcohol fuzzy this early afternoon. I had meant to stop by Roosevelt this morning and finish up some paperwork at Medical Records before continuing on to the gym for Pilates at 11:30. Well, I did make it to the gym on time! Guess I'd better go do the paperwork first thing Monday morning, I am running out of time!

I'm looking forward to the Opening Ceremony this evening, first of all because I get super-excited about the Olympics, and have done since I was a little girl. But second of all, because they're in Torino!! And the downhill events are in Sestriere, where my family spent a week skiing in 1991, I think it was. I wish I were there so badly! I've been dreaming about Italy a lot lately...well, that and wombats, but we won't go there.

I came home after class just a little while ago to find some emails about my housing in London. My agent had told me I would be in hospital-provided housing, essentially nursing accommodation. But the details that my new manager sent were in relation to a flat I will share for 3 months minimum with another OT who is starting at Whipps Cross this Monday the 13th. My share of the rent is 411 pounds a month, with an additional security deposit tagged on as well as a bit extra for the last bit of February I will spend in London. Which pretty much adds up to 900 pounds due up front when I arrive. Ouch! So my agent went back to my new manager to find out what happened to the nursing accommodation. I've just now finished reading the email, and from her comments like, there is one kitchen and one bathroom for an entire floor, and everything gets stolen from the fridge, and this one is the kicker "I wouldn't put my worst enemy in there"...I think I'll stick with the flat and the one roommate, hmm? And it's only for 3 months so if my friend Jo is serious about looking for a flat together we can do that late spring. So it looks like I will be living in Forest Gate, and working in Leytonstone.

I also had an email about an exclusive live show Coldplay is doing at Abbey Road studios this Monday, and they're running a competition to send a couple of fans...boy, do I have bad timing. Arrrggghhh.

I"ve been very jealous reading my friend Dan's blog lately, and seeing the pictures of all the exotic places he's visited, lately while he was in Hong Kong (there's a link to his blog in my sidebar if you're curious), but hopefully I'll have my own tales to tell very soon. Starting with Italia in May! But none of this before the big snowstorm which will happen overnight tomorrow into Sunday....we're supposed to get a foot or more, I'm so excited, I can hardly contain myself! Tress will be home on Sunday for Dad's birthday, I wonder if I can get her to take a toboggan ride down "Suicide Hill" (our backyard hill leading down into the woods, which is studded with trees) for old times' sake? Probably not if she wants to be sure of avoiding a third broken arm (though I swear to you all, it was not my fault! Being the driver does not mean I automatically take the blame, especially when she's sticking her arm out!).

Guess I'd better pack a bit so I can watch the Opening Ceremonies later.

No comments: