Wednesday, February 22, 2006

At last...

I don't actually have a lot of time, as I'm only spending a quick minute on the computer here at the end of my first day of work at Whipps Cross. Though I suppose I shouldn't call it work, since I spent the morning with my manager signing papers, getting my uniform (ugh), learning what my first rotation would be (day hospital- I'll fill you in on what that's about when I know!)...and then this afternoon I spent with the other basic grades, with a lunch out and then an all afternoon meeting on professional development. All the OTs have been really welcoming I must say! Oh yes, and I found out I have to take 3 days off before April 1, and then as of April 1, I get 27 days annual leave plus bank holidays, and should I happen to get sick, those days are actually separate. I know Americans are workaholics, but it seems to me American companies might have a lot happier employees if they took a lesson from the English and Europeans on holiday time!

Arrived Monday morning, an OT picked me up at the airport, and I am in a pretty nice house in East London where I have not even come close to unpacking yet. I saw my friend Jo on Monday night, a bit surreal as I haven't seen her in a year and half, and it still hasn't hit me that I'm living in London yet, I feel as if I might go home in a week! We had a great time catching up, and will hopefully hang out again this weekend. I then met Maja's friend James on Tuesday who is really, really nice, and who gave me a little walk-round of central London, which also included several pubs, naturally, and I had a great time...I am pretty homesick, but was fully distracted yesterday- thanks James!

My mobile phone number is not active at the moment, it would appear I need to get the handset unlocked, but my address and house phone number that I included in my email to everyone is accurate, and you can reach me in both of those ways. I'll be checking email a bit sporadically over the next 2-3 weeks until we get internet at our house. I have lovely roommates, one who is South African, and one who is an American OT, and I feel pretty lucky all in all with my housing. Speaking of which, I need to go withdraw money to pay the landlord, so I hope everyone is doing well, I miss you all, love you all, and will do my best to keep this blog updated at least twice a week until we get internet at the house. Can't imagine I'll have anything exciting to say, but you never know! Cheers, Allison.

No comments: