Friday, October 13, 2006

What a difference a job makes...

Yes, it's a Friday night and I'm home. But I've actually already been out for three hours immediately following work- drinks for a colleague who's leaving. AND the Guiness World Record attempt for biggest pub crawl is tomorrow. One drink at each of 10 pubs between 11:30am and 6pm. Our picture will be in the paper and everything, although with 2700 people, I doubt you'll be able to pick out individual faces.

Anywho...I feel like a different person. As I titled this entry, what a difference a job makes. I'm so incredibly happy, it's like night and day between the last rotation and this one. I feel at home on the one hand because rehab is familiar and satisfying work for me. I'm also rather intimidated at all that there is for me to learn, and me being me, I'm setting ridiculously high standards/goals for myself as to what I am to accomplish in a short 6 months. All that I want to do is impossible really, and I'm trying really hard to remind myself that I always aim too high...I cannot become an expert in the care of stroke patients in 6 months. My supervisor is very laid back, extremely so, which although I'm sure I will find trying at times, should be very good for balancing me out, and keeping me realistic. I had supervision yesterday afternoon, and told her that in general I am very happy (because she wanted to make sure I wasn't dreading coming into work everyday-- I told her "No way!!"), but that I'm worried time will fly by too quickly and I won't be able to learn everything. To which she said simply, you won't. And she's right. Even the Senior Physio that I'm working with for 3 of my 6 patients is still learning, and she has a lot of knowledge and skills. But as flatmate Nicole and I were discussing tonight, when you've got the right job, or are on the right unit over here in England with skilled teammates, there really are career-oriented reasons to be working in the UK. Woohoo!!

It's not just the job though. I've also slowly slowly started to make new friends and connections, through work and other means...one of those things that just takes time, and can seem like it's never going to happen when you've moved to new country on your own. But I can see now after 7 months that things are starting to happen, a new life is coming together. I know from past experience that moves like this, whether it's to a new country, or just simply away from family and friends, makes me stronger, makes me a better person, helps me to know myself better...but every time I do it, it's still just as hard, and it can initially be easy to forget that the fact that it is hard is what makes me grow. But enough of my soapbox-- I'm going to go practice my chugging technique ;)

No comments: