Monday, October 09, 2006

pumpkins and steroid shots

Anybody out there dealing cortisone injections? Think my hips could use a couple! Little tip: if you work in rehab, and have tendinitis in your hips, the day after you run a decent-mileage race, you're pretty much useless as far as transfers and manual handling go. So you better have some understanding colleagues who are willing to pitch in, or your dept better have access to an electric standing frame. (Fortunately, my dept has both.) I checked the RunLondon web site today, and the South team won, by an average time of 56 minutes 7 seconds. (North average was 56 minutes 26 seconds.) Booooo-- I ran for North.

I walked home from work, and having decided to skip the gym (on Cecilia's advice, she runs marathons, and said a walk was plenty), stopped in at Tesco's. I have two patients who had to go cold turkey on smoking and drinking as a result of their strokes, one of whom I posted about recently because he was actually a full-fledged alcoholic (the one who freely admits he's got the attention span of a goldfish). As it turns out, he's very good at crosswords, Sudoku, and other word games, and this helps to keep his mind off the drink. Since we're running out of puzzles for him at work, I stopped to get him a cheap book of puzzles, and wouldn't you know it, Halloween is catching on over here. Tesco's had pumpkins for carving, and all kinds of decorations and costumes on display. From what I hear, a few (very few, but still more than none) trick-or-treaters even knocked on our door last year. This is very, very recent, and I wonder why it has so suddenly caught on over here?!

No comments: