Thursday, October 05, 2006

Time has started to fly by again, thanks to my new rotation

I am having the best professional week I've had since moving here. I will be learning about normal movement from some pretty skilled therapists on my stroke unit. I will be attending a 6-day Bobath Course, to learn some more about normal movement, and learn specialized intervention techniques for working on good alignment with stroke patients. I will be having one-on-one training sessions once a week with my Senior OT who is also the Rehab Stroke Team Leader, on anything my little heart desires...from seating to dyspraxia to cognitive assessment and interventions. I will have six patients just about every day, with whom I will have the chance to build a therapeutic rapport as I carry through on rehabilitation treatment plans I have helped to establish. I will be setting problem-based treatment goals, with client input. We have an electric standing frame for use with "heavy" stroke patients, who barely have sitting balance...one man's wife was almost in tears today, seeing him for the first time in a vertical position, rather than just laying in bed.

I do NOT have to attend department business meetings anymore. I WILL be presenting to my new stroke rehab team on kinesio-taping of the shoulder, since I took a course about this time last year.

And finally, anyone out there have any suggestions on interventions addressing attention? I have a patient who is an alcoholic, and as a result of his stroke, currently involuntarily sober, and he forgets that he cannot walk, he wants a drink so badly. As he joked to me (coping strategy!) on my first day, he has the attention "of a goldfish". We have no way of knowing if there were cognitive issues due to the alcoholism before the stroke, and generally speaking, he's good on perception, orientation...but there is no safety awareness, no insight, no judgement. I'll be working this over with the Senior OT, but as I need to start with attention on the perceptual/cognitive hierarchy, I would appreciate it if any of you OTs have suggestions on interventions addressing attention.

I am a happy, happy girl.

No comments: