Wednesday, May 10, 2006

You're in Blighty, Love!

Highly amusing...I just had a phone call from Midge on my *mobile* who is in the country to get a new work visa for her passport. She's stuck at "home" for the next couple of days while she waits for her passport to be returned with the new visa, so we've tentatively planned to get together next week. Well, tentative in the sense that we don't know what day or what time or where yet, because she has to be at home every day until her passport is returned to her. It was really crazy to hear her voice on the phone, as she reminded me we hadn't spoken since a bunch of us went for JP Licks (ice cream) in Davis Square about a year ago, around graduation time. However, we both have been keeping up with each other via our blogs, and Midge has been very helpful in gently correctly me when I've gotten things unwittingly wrong...such as it's not Thaught Park, it's Thorpe Park. According to Midge, I have really picked up a "British twang" which she thinks may sound so obvious to her since we haven't spoken in a year. Because my friends and family I have spoken to on the phone haven't said anything about it. And I have been conscious of trying not to pick up an accent. But I'm ready and willing to call Midge the expert, and I guess my accent reflects that I'm living in Blighty! We had fun making comparisons- I've been envious of her productivity and opportunities to really work with patients and develop therapeutic rapport, she has on occasion been jealous of my opportunities to plan trips and blog from work because I don't have enough patients to see. I am really looking forward to seeing her next week, it really made my day to hear her voice! Oh, and Midge, turn about is fair play - you do sound a bit more American than I remember ;)

Additionally, I found out today I will be going to a three-day training on Assessment of Perceptual and Cognitive Dysfunction, which makes me very happy. I put my name on a list to be considered for a 6-day Bobath course (the physical aspects of working with stroke patients, it's a specific theory and specific physical interventions), but we won't know for another couple of months who will actually get to go on the course. We were just recently offered a choice among 5-6 other 2-3 day courses, and told if we didn't want to work in rehab or with stroke patients as a career, we might be better off going to one of these courses, as Bobath is quite intensive. I was really interested in the course I mentioned at the beginning of this paragraph but afraid I wouldn't be allowed to do both. So I wrote an email to Barbara, my overall manager and Head OT, explaining that I do intend for my career to be in rehab with a speciality in working stroke patients, and could I possibly attend the Perception and Cognition course, but still be considered for the Bobath, since the two courses cover different aspects of working with stroke patients. And she said, yes, that's fine! So I've killed two birds with one stone...I've gotten permission to attend this course June 28-30 (coincidentally, I have a flight back to the US for two weeks on the night of June 30), and I've made it clear to Barbara that my interests lie in working with stroke patients. Hopefully she'll remember that when it comes time for the next rotation. Finally, I feel like I'm accomplishing something professionally, at least as far as continuing education goes!

I've posted some pictures below from all the various events of this past weekend...

No comments: