Wednesday, May 17, 2006

It's a dog's life

Being in dog country can be rather funny. I hope no one gets offended by this comment, as I'm certainly not the first to make it...I believe I've read this in various magazines, heard other people say it, etc. And especially with regard to the dog owners I see every day on my walks to or from the hospital, it amuses me to no end in its veracity. Some dog owners seem to choose their pets based on physical resemblance to themselves. There's a lady with shoulder length hair, dyed a reddish color, and rather dry and shaggy in looks. She has a ginger and white collie I always see her walking. Then there's a man who is very tall but with small, sort of scrunched facial features, and I don't know the name of the breed of his two little dogs, but they definitely have scrunched facial features. I could go on with examples, but you get my point. I wonder, does this tie in with the theory that we choose our romantic partners based on physical similarities? (I have often read that couples who could be mistaken for brother and sister are, generally speaking, the most compatible couples.) Do we naturally gravitate toward people and things that remind us of, well, us?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, its true. There was a scientific study released a while ago which showed that people are attracted to people of similar looks and facial structures. R