Monday, May 01, 2006

Human nature

Let me see...I've managed to explode a fruit smoothie all over myself, probably my biggest accomplishment of the day so far.

Question: Why is it that we do things we know aren't good or right for ourselves? I seem to excel at self-torture, and am constantly going against my own best judgement, in spite of myself. It's as if checking to make sure I still feel....let me just poke around a bit in that old wound, and see if it still hurts. I guess we all do things that aren't good for us, and who really knows what the explanation is. I mean people smoke, in spite of the correlation to cancer, people go tanning or bake in the sun all day in spite of the correlation to cancer, everyone who drinks has been horribly sick at some point, but that doesn't stop most people from ever drinking too much again. People drink and drive, people eat for comfort and hate themselves for it or starve themselves and hate themselves for it, people stay in abusive relationships (be it with a friend, family member, lover, boss, whatever)... the list could go on and on. I mean, do we choose the right thing for the wrong reasons? Or the wrong thing for the right reasons? It seems a little of both, but then there's always choosing the wrong thing for the wrong reasons, which generally requires a bit of separation from reality to pull off. All those lovely destructive coping strategies we learned about in abnormal psych, rationalization, justification, outright denial.

As that's a bit dark, my current silly problem is getting myself back on a regular gym schedule. There's always some excuse, even when I have all the time in the world like today. And I know that once I get going, a regular workout is very healthy. I always feel great after I exercise. And yet I drag my feet, and in spite of really wanting to be in bikini shape by end of June for Vermont and Hawaii, my self-motivation is lacking. So frustrating!!

No comments: