Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Arrivo

I almost dread starting this post, as I have so much to say, I don't know where to start, and I'm sure I'll rattle on long past when I should end. I've decided not to write the first paragraph in Italian, though I'm sure that would be a good challenge for me - however, my grammar might end up being shockingly awful to Jenn, so I will refrain. Allora, ragazzi...

I will try to intersperse this with pictures, which will probably mean I'll have to republish these entries a couple of times since the pics have to be posted separately, so bear with me. There are several themes here...food (naturally), wine (of course), my rediscovery of conversational Italian idiosyncrasies, my adventures with small town Italian life, and our misadventures with Italian public transit.

I caught my flight to Verona Catullo airport on Thursday afternoon with no complications, and arrived to a very warm, still very light out Italian evening around 8:30pm. Rita (Jenn's mother) and Rita's cousin Pippo (short for Filippo) were waiting for me. We drove first along the autostrada and then turned off into smaller towns that lead to Rita's small town of Brognoligo, and I dreamily watched the hillsides terraced with vines and olive trees and old old building and churches slide by. And I particularly like in the town of Monteforte where we have to drive right up in front of the church, and pass where there is barely enough room over cobblestoned street between the church and what serves as town hall/tourism office/enoteca and probably more. I happily made myself at home in Rita and Morris' restored old farmhouse, picture to follow, and we decided to make our way to the train station the following morning. Meanwhile, Rita got out some cheese and crusty Italian bread, as well as a bottle of Pippo's homemade vino dolce (which is a bit frizzante), and I obligingly made my way through most of it myself, for as soon as we discovered it was sweet, Rita didn't really want to have more than a small glass. And guess what, no hangover.

To summarize a couple of things, I more than made use of my time in a gastronomic sense, with many of my personal favorites, including gnocchi, homemade risotto, tender beef with a gravy-like accompaniment made only in the Verona region called peara, homemade salami, fresh, hot panini, fresh bread, Italian pizza with homemade oglio picante, gelato, amaretti, and cherries picked from the side of the road. I was unfortunately one weekend ahead of the Brognoligo cherry festival which is happening this coming weekend (I saw everything being set up in the small town center as I left). I had homemade grappa, homemade limoncino, homemade vino di tavolo, homemade prosecco, homemade vino dolce. I bought jewelry and sandals, 6 boxes of panne (traditionally used in cream-bases sauces in Italy), bags of amaretti to bring to my coworkers, and 10 bottles of locally made wine to bring back. I even drank the requisite cappuccino. While waiting for the bus to Verona on Saturday, Rita asked me if I wanted a cappuccino "or something" and I said yes, as I'm always able to find something else to drink, but Rita temporarily forgot I don't drink coffee and immediately ordered "due cappuccini". I dumped two packets of sugar substitute into mine, and managed to somewhat enjoy it. I had to, for when in Italy...

No comments: