Monday, September 11, 2006

Scarlett

I've been told numerous times that I look like Julia Stiles. I've never really minded as I happen to think she's absolutely beautiful, a gifted actress, and as I've often quipped, "well, I'm not suprised, she's me if my life had gone the way it was supposed to." Although I've also said that of Natalie Portman, though I don't look like her-- that one sprang from her performance in the title role of The Diary of Anne Frank in NYC. A role I also played, but in a mere high school play performance.

Anywho, the Sunday edition of the Daily Mail (you have to be careful what paper you read around here, people often take it as an indication of your political persuasion- the Mail is relatively harmless) had an interview with Scarlett Johansson. In many ways I'm very impressed with her views and opinions, and general take on life, though obviously that's hard to capture within the confines of a two-page spread. She talks about enjoying her status as a sex-symbol, but also how hard she works to make sure her image isn't cheapened, and to make sure that sexy is not the only thing she is known for. With regard to body image, she now falls into my hero category of good role models for young girls, with statements like this: "I don't understand this obsession for being stick-thin. I could never be like that--it's just not my body shape. I would never stress about losing my curves, because curves are what make women look like women. They are what make you sexy." Amen, sister!!!

It made me laugh because it reminded me of a comment Maja made during our day trip to Dalyan, where several members of the tour were from the UK. There were a number of youngish looking couples, and Maja commented on how the men were particularly good-looking, but their partners were not. And I realized that is exactly one of the things I love about the UK- there is less concern with external beauty, and more concern with internal beauty. Or something. (One of the girls on that trip sounded like an unhappy complainer, but maybe she was just tired.) And generally speaking, guys here are very appreciative of curvy women!

No comments: