Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Trick or Treat

It definitely feels like fall now...though it's a bit early as it's still September, when I came home from work yesterday, I found a small package for me from home that the mailman had managed to shove through the post slot in our front door. It contained a package of candy corn (mmm, yum!), and a Halloween card from Gerry (my cat): "Don't even think about dressing me up for Halloween...or I'll leave a little 'something' in your treat sack." Classic! Good one, mom & dad.

There was also a Save the Date card from Nicole and Rob. They had a picture of the two of them made into postcards, on the back of which they printed the date of their wedding, so that people can mark it off in their calendars. Viv is now talking about going to Thailand and Philippines in April instead of March, but I don't think I can whisk home for just the wedding weekend...we'll see.

And then last night, we had a girlie movie night at home, because Nicole just recently bought a bootleg copy of The Breakup. Man, did that movie stress me out!! For probably more than half the movie, they're just having an all-out go at each other. The kind of yelling that makes your friends embarrassed for you, which is what happens in the movie as well-- every time they started up in the movie, their friends found excuses to leave/get away from them. And yet millions of people paid good money to be subjected to it. While I did not actually leave the room, I did stick my head under the pillow a couple of times, and Nicole and Leeanne and I kept up a running commentary, talking to the TV as you do, or just making fun of the movie, to lighten it up a bit. And the ending was a total cop-out. Though I'd heard the ending was just quite simply, no they don't get back together, it's actually open-ended. They run into each other randomly on the street, have a brief conversation about how nice it is to see each other, and they shouldn't let so much time go by before meeting up again, and they both look back at each other as they walk away. So basically the audience can decide for themselves whether they never see each other again, or whether they do and will end up getting back together. I guess I'd probably say, unless this movie is on TV and you can see it for free, don't bother. Actually, even then, don't bother.

No comments: