Thursday, September 21, 2006

In which I learn about my next rotation

I had a mini-tour of the stroke unit this afternoon, once I finally found it, that is. There was a mis-communication between myself and the other basic grade OT who is finishing up her rotation there, and she forgot we were meeting this afternoon. And with all the ward closures that have happened at Whipps, due to the dire financial situation they are currently sorting out, I was directed to three different locations before I finally found the rehab stroke team. It was a bit overwhelming, but then any new job is (right up there with moving and death for most stressful life experiences) and I've learned to cope with it pretty well, with all the new OT placements I've done thus far. I would not say it was intimidating because the staff is all really lovely, and I'm familiar with rehab work...I get to do manual transfers again, yay! (Funny, but I really do mean it, I'm not being sarcastic there.) However, I will have a lot of adjusting to do, what with the new procedures and time schedules and assessments I need to start using. Apparently I will have 6 patients pretty much at all times, hallelujah, I'm moving back toward normal caseload numbers.

In other news, I'm rather upset. I used the only yellow cake mix I'd brought back with me in July to make my family's special peanut butter chocolate chip brownies for a lunch we had today for the basic grade who resigned (she's the reason I actually did get the stroke unit, click on the stroke label for previous posts with the whole story). The recipe calls for 350 degrees Fahrenheit in the oven, but our oven only has gas marks, and I obviously got it wrong. I left them in for the normal amount of time, and the top was lovely and golden brown, but the inside was just goo, and there was no way of saving them (I tried putting them back in for a bit). Shame. Only the edges were salvageable. The only consolation last night was that I made such a good panne and tomato pasta sauce from scratch that Leeanne was literally drooling over it. You win some, you lose some.

No comments: