Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Self Defense

So, last night my friend Sarah (physio I met working on the stroke unit) and I tried out the Kickboxing class at the hospital. When we got there, we discovered this is not your Billy Blanks Tae Bo, this is wear hand grips and gloves and punching pads kickboxing. As Sarah and I are both reasonably fit, athletic types, we had no problem picking up right where the rest of the class was, much to the surprise of some who'd been doing the class for awhile. And I have to say, it was tiring, but it was pretty awesome to actually punch pads as I worked on hooks, upper cuts, jabs, cross punches, and some sort of centripetal force, whirl-around punch-- now that was power! My arms have been feeling it today, but I think it was well worth it. The instructor is a proper martial arts teacher, so I'll think the two of us will continue to take the class. Now we just have to each get our own hand wraps and gloves...

No comments: