Monday, November 06, 2006

Phrase of the Day

KEEPING YOUR POWDER DRY: To take care of yourself; to be prepared.

This phrase was uttered by Oliver Cromwell in 1642, when his regiment was about to attack the enemy at the battle of Edgehill. "Put your trust in God," he told his troops, "but keep your powder dry." Wet gunpowder was very difficult to ignite, and with it a soldier would in effect be unarmed. (Courtesy of my cousin Andy)

I was too tired to blog about it at the time, and then forgot, but I went to see Guys and Dolls in the West End on Halloween. The big draw here has been Patrick Swayze headlining as Nathan Detroit. It was very very well done, especially since the female lead had been replaced (housemate Nicole saw it at least a month before me and said the original lead was awful). Although I must say, good ole Patrick is not the heartthrob he once was. He was never my type to begin with, I never swooned over him in Dirty Dancing, and now he definitely looks middle-age, and shorter than I expected him to be. However, he did a great job, and the show was fantastic! The actor who played Sky Masterson (no idea who he was), now there was a man to drool over.... ;)

Pics from this weekend still coming, just need to get ahold of Nicole's memory card tomorrow.

No comments: