Sunday, November 05, 2006

The Fun Never Stops

Boy, have I been busy, and the fun never stops...I still have some stories from last weekend (Halloween weekend) which I hope to get to today, and this weekend I have been partying with housemate Nicole and some friends of hers who are here visiting from the States. On Friday night, we went to the Ice Bar, where literally everything is made of ice-- the tables, the seats, the bar, the glasses you drink from, the walls. You get a heavy parka sort of thing thrown over your head as you go in, and you only get to stay for about 45 minutes-- which I think has less to do with the owners being worried about people getting too cold, and more to do with wanting to get as many people in and out to make as much money as possible! We then went on to a club called Tiger Tiger for a little bit, which is where Nicole and her boyfriend Dave first met, a little over a year ago. And finally, we had reservations at Sugar Reef, a club you often see pictured in the papers with celebrities like Victoria Beckham (Posh Spice) falling out of its doors in the wee hours. We had a fantastic time, and as soon as I get ahold of Nicole's memory card, I'll post some really funny pics on here.

Last night, I joined up with them again at a bar called Porterhouse in Covent Garden. I think it's my new favorite bar. It kind of looks like a brewery inside-- they do have their own draughts and everything-- three different levels, and tons of good-looking men. As a matter of fact, I was sitting at a table chatting to Nicole's friends, when I hear Nicole behind me yelling, "Allison, I found you a cute Irish guy!" Imagine what shade of red I was as I stood up to meet him, or them, as it turned out to be two guys. Very friendly, very funny, both from Belfast originally, and one had spent an exchange year at Beaver College (now known as Arcadia) in PA. Wish I had gotten their numbers, because they were a lot of fun to hang out with, but we somehow lost them in transit to our next and last stop of the night, the Walkabout on Shaftesbury Ave. However, it was probably all for the best, because I had a great time being chatted up (this counts as a "pull"), but they live all the way over on the west side of London. It doesn't take very long living over here to learn that you almost might as well be talking about East Coast versus West Coast when you live on the east side of London and you meet someone from the west side. The tube stops running at about midnight, the night buses can be hard to figure out (even for someone who's sober), and a cab is really expensive. So everyone is usually very reluctant to go for a big night out on the other side of town unless they've got a place to crash. Anywho, we left Porterhouse, and took rickshaws (so fun! think I've got a pic of that too) to the Walkabout, and I think all of us ended up wishing we stayed at the first place. The music they were playing last night at the Walkabout left a lot to be desired, very much on the cheesy side.

So I've got a few days of work now, but then Carla arrives for a quick visit on Thursday morning!! She's taking advantage of Teacher's Conference Weekend in NJ, and will be here from Thursday to Sunday, so I need to get my tourguide act together!

No comments: