Monday, November 20, 2006

News

The sad news today was that the tube was completely incapacitated, on top of which there was also a bus strike, and the stroke unit was therefore in complete disarray. I was there on time since I had walked, and an OT student who drives in every day was also there. But everyone else was at least an hour late. Although, I'm just now getting to the sad part of it...the central line had been shut down because there was not one, but two jumpers today. And we come back around to the topic of perspective, because I can't imagine where people must be in their lives to do such a thing-- and I also can't imagine being someone on the platform seeing this happen, or god forbid, the driver of the train.

On a much less dramatic note(perspective), but still emotionally draining and life-changing for this particular family, we had a case conference today for one of my patients. When asked what his current big goal, or number one goal, might be, he replied in this meeting he wanted to get back to work. (He's only 57, and was a self-employed painter/decorator.) We asked him to try again, and to try to think realistically, given the fact that he still has no movement or sensation on the left side of his body. He came up with walking, with a stick, or perhaps a frame at first. And it broke my heart, but we had to tell him we didn't see him being able to walk by the time he goes home, and that going back to work might very well not be on the cards for him. We asked him when he thought he might be ready to go home, and he named June of next year, but we had to tell him it would be early January at the latest. And we had to tell him that doing a good transfer with assistance, and standing well, would be the goals we'll try to accomplish before he leaves. His family is having to re-locate to wheelchair accessible housing, and he'll be getting a powered wheelchair eventually. His family is very "switched on" as they say, and none of this was a big shock to his wife, but I think he was pretty surprised by the news. His insight has definitely been affected by the stroke, and while he will say straight away he is making slow progress in therapy, and has good days and bad days, he's very unrealistic about the big picture. I think that's the hardest part of therapy some days-- being brutally honest with our patients about what we think they'll achieve before they go home. And even harder is dealing with patients who have no insight into their capabilities and limitations, and don't believe you no matter what you say. The one I'm talking about from today, he's not as bad as that. We've currently got two patients who think that they could walk with a stick if we'd just let them, even though they need 2-3 people just to help them stand in therapy.

Ok, so enough of the sad talk...my happy stuff today: Let's see, going to the gym (always feels even better than usual after an emotional day at work), I'm all booked for a yoga and hiking weekend in the Brecons in Wales in February (yay!!), and I got my first Christmas gift!! I got the shock of my life this morning when I picked up a parcel from my Mom on my way to work, which I thought contained some items I'd asked her to get from the drugstore. But it was bigger than I expected, yet still lightweight, so I couldn't guess what else might be in there. Turns out it was a pair of black Crocs (clogs) that was on my Christmas list, which she'd sent over early, thinking I could use them in hospital now. They are the coolest! And so comfy too... thanks Mom!!!

1 comment:

beakerpete said...

Hi Allison! Miss ya!

Pete F.