Monday, February 19, 2007

Warm weather and training to trek

I was thoroughly exhausted after a grueling 2-hour case conference (family meeting) on Friday, and had managed to come down with another cold-- what's going on here, I thought I had more than served my time this "winter"?!-- so I spent most of the weekend in bed. Although I sound better today, I still feel totally drained, and can't get rid of a persistent (sinus?) headache.

I will get into the case conference at some point this week, but at the moment, it's still too tiring to think about.

A couple of things. Not to brag (especially since I was stuck in bed this weekend, not out enjoying some fresh air), but I've been hearing reports of it being bitterly cold on the East Coast for several weeks now. Over here, aside from the one day we had snow, it has consistently been in the 40s to even low 50s at times this winter. It goes down into the 30s at night. I think most people are pleased about this, but not me...I like my winter thank you very much, and it feels like we skipped right over it into spring! Okay, a really wacky spring, where it was getting dark around 4pm, but these days it's now pretty light when I leave work.

Viv and I have now booked all flights, and the only thing left to do is make sure we're in trekking shape by the end of March. To that end, I'm trying to run at least 3 times a week, have started going to a very challenging class at a yoga studio in Bethnal Green 2 times a week (the athletic power flow version of yoga, not the meditative static kind), and also try to lift weights 3 times a week. Housemate Nicole wants me to sign up for a bike ride from London to Brighton this summer, so she has someone to train with, which I would do, but I can't seem to find the time to go looking for a good quality used road bike.

No comments: