Sunday, April 15, 2007

Entertaining myself at JFK

Well, here I am sitting at JFK, in the middle of afore-mentioned Nor'Easter, with high winds and driving rain. And I know that firsthand, because the stupid AirTrain does not connect the terminal where I landed (4) with the terminal where I needed to be for my UK flight (3). It runs direct from terminal 4 to terminal 2. So I had to walk a half mile in the driving rain and high winds, which had me at a dead stop, and actually pushed me backwards twice with a heavy suitcase in tow. However, I made it, waited two hours to check in (I couldn't use the e-check-in kiosk because of all the trouble in London at the start of this trip when my original reservation was cancelled), am now warm and dry, and have had some lunch. And perhaps most amazingly of all, at the moment, they say that my flight is still scheduled to go on time. The stewardess on my last flight explained to me, after we had landed and the nausea had passed enough for both of us to speak again (rough turbulence during the descent and landing process), that it is easier for flights to take off than to land in this awful weather, and in particular because mine is an international flight, it's less likely to be cancelled. Hope I didn't just jinx it.

Anyway, I think I only gave half the story yesterday. It makes my heart ache, the physical difficulties that my grandfather is experiencing. However, he is 93, and he proudly told me he is currently the oldest one at his assisted living facility. Though it took him 10 minutes to get from the door of Applebees to our table 75 feet away with his chariot as he calls it (a rolling walker with seat built in), he takes it all in stride, with dignity and without complaint. He also has hearing and vision problems. However, he still has a mind like a steel trap. We got to see my Uncle Dutch and Aunt Becky last night only for dinner, and he told them all about how I'd been to "Mitchu Pitchu, Machu Patchu, Moochu Poochu....and I hope they have someone to clean it up!"

No comments: