Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Ramblings

I've been having trouble falling asleep the past couple of nights...I suppose it doesn't help that I got the TV series Bones and NUMB3RS on DVD for Christmas, and the episodes can be gruesome. I find that my patients run through my head a lot as I toss and turn. Funny how, even with six patients, which I consider to be a light caseload, there never seems to be enough time to do everything I want to do for my patients, to do everything they deserve. I guess part of that problem is that OTs in this country are at least half social workers as well. Today in particular I spent probably 3/4 of my day on the phone with various patient issues. During our multi-disciplinary meeting, we were interrupted 5 times, all calls for me with regard to one or another of my patients. The rehab assistant was all apologetic for taking me out of the meeting, but these weren't issues she could just take a message about.

Anywho, I've been craving a latte this week. I think I must be growing up, I had two coffees during the holiday week. An eggnog latte when I met up with Rob and Nicole at Heathrow on the 23rd, since we were all flying out the same day. And a peppermint mocha latte whilst I was home. I'm sure at least a few of you are groaning, thinking to yourself, ha! that's not coffee, the same way I get protestations when I call california or avocado rolls, sushi. But hey, for a girl who has shunned coffee all her life, this is a big thing. I'm using my hours off from the relative group I ran in the beginning of December to take off from work early on Friday, and do a bit of January sales shopping. Maybe I'll treat myself to a latte then. :)

I was also remembering my trip to Macys at 7am on Christmas Eve, whilst lying in bed last night or the night before. Nature called, so I turned to the sales lady and asked where the nearest toilet would be...she stared at me, and finally said, "Ah....you mean the bathroom?" Which made it my turn to stare at her. Finally, I burst out laughing and said," Yes, I mean the bathroom, I'm sorry I forgot I'm back in the States. That was rude, I'm very sorry." At which point she started laughing, and pointed a finger in the direction I needed to go. My mom was also in hysterics, having lived in England herself for 4 years, and made some crack along the lines of "What country do you think you're in, lady?" An observation: I think the English are rather European, which explains a lot of phrases that they use, and it's common across Europe to ask for the toilet, or perhaps WC, a bathroom being more that place where you take a bath or shower. But generally speaking, I do think I've absorbed more of the British culture, it has become more second nature, than it was when I first arrived.

I've been out tonight for a leaving do for the speech therapist on our unit. She's moving on to a research position elsewhere, and a lot of people, not just from the stroke unit, went for drinks and a meal at the local pub. I am a big fan of the pub life, as I've said before, it's an addictive piece of British culture that makes you feel cozy, intimate, generally warm and fuzzy all over. City pubs can't compare to country pubs for the most part, but pubs are homey places, and I love whiling away the time with friends, down the pub. It was also a great time to keep building the buzz for my bday plans. Paris is not happening, that's a definite, we couldn't get a big enough group together and I think you need that energy for a night where you are out partying until 9 or 10 in the morning. Also, many people are currently experiencing money problems-- you see, we get paid early in December because of Xmas-- specifically we were paid on 20 Dec. And we don't get paid again until 31 Jan. So many people have already spent most or all of that money they got in December, and cannot afford Paris this month...so we've agreed we will do the Eurostar party fare and cabaret night a different month, probably this summer actually. But Plan B ain't too shabby either-- we're going to Ministry of Sound, baby!! Huge nightclub in London, known worldwide for the famous DJs who play there, they put out compilation CDs every year, mostly house music. I knew I'd have to go at least once, and this is the perfect excuse. It's not an expensive entrance fee either, so we'll have dinner and drinks first, haven't decided where yet, and then we'll dance our hearts out from midnight to 7am. And this plan is drawing a big crowd of people to join me, both because it's reasonable on their wallets, and you mention Ministry of Sound and people are hooked. So I'll do something more low key for my actual birthday on the Friday, and ramp it up big time for a massive Saturday night out on the town!

No comments: