Thursday, January 24, 2008

Buon Compleano

Haven't really had a night at home this week, aside from Monday, which Sheena and I spent catching up with Nicole (who had just returned from three weeks in Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam). She's the color of a golden nut. I'm desperate to get to Thailand now. Hey Viv, what happened to our Philippines/Thailand adventure??

Last night I was out for my friend Chantale's leaving do...she is spending two and a half months traveling (Shanghai, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji, San Diego, and I can't remember what all else). She'll then end up at home in Montreal. We were at this bar called Fuel in Covent Garden, which is pretty average as far as a Covent Garden bar goes, except for this one booth they have called "Fish Tank." It seats about 10 people, and is separated from the rest of the bar by 3 steps down. It's decorated in various shades of turqouise and blue (you'd love it, Jinny), and is bordered on the one end by, wait for it....a big salt-water fish tank. We had a lots of fun, I met up with some people I met over a year ago on a Halloween weekend in Kent with Backabush and I didn't realize they were friends with Chantale. It was sad as well though, because of course we were saying goodbye to Chantale. But I'll probably be the one she sees again first, as my plans for this year also include moving back home. So more like an "au revoir" than a real goodbye.

Had a good night for my bday on Saturday, got a massive, gorgeous bunch of flowers from W, and we had a fantastic meal at Home. I definitely want to go back there. It was the best steak people had ever had, the best duck people had ever had, and the crab tagliatelle was amazing as well. We then danced at the bar below the restaurant, and finished off in the wee hours of the following morning at a hotel bar. I don't have many pictures from that night-- actually none at all, the few we took are on Jules' camera-- but I still have more from Italy to put up. And the flight to Prague is tomorrow!!! I'm so excited, we have booked an absolutely amazing hotel, and I've been making all sorts of plans based on other people's recommendations, and a guide book I got at the library. It will be a great finish to my birthday week ;-)

No comments: