Friday, November 23, 2007

Happy Black Friday!

For my international friends, it's called Black Friday because this is the day when most retailers make it into the black (profitable) for the year, with huge pre-Christmas promotions.

I am missing it terribly, and cannot believe I have now missed it for 2 years in a row!! This will not happen again, I will be home for Thanksgiving and Black Friday next year! (Jinny be forewarned :-) In past years, I have been proud to say I have finished my Christmas shopping on Black Friday. People think we are nuts, but I think shopping during the latter half of December is worse. Besides, it's not as much about the shopping itself, but the challenge, and most importantly, memories and tradition. So Mom, Chris and Jinny, power up the walkie talkies beginning of November next year!

For us, normally, Thanksgiving always includes the following:
Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade
Philadelphia Parade
cooking
lots of appetizers and wine
a huge feast with lots of friends and loved ones
the thankfulness tree
Sunday best outfits
football game
tons of dessert options
a food coma nap
and at night, we are allowed to watch the first Christmas movie of the season, and to look over the Black Friday ads, to make our plan of attack for the following morning, usually beginning at 4:30-5am.

This year, Sheena, Nicole and I had a small feast, and had some friends over. We had turkey, a vegetarian roast option, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, roasted potatoes, corn, garlicky broccoli, cranberry sauce, stuffing, gravy, lots of wine and for dessert...homemade pumpkin pie and whipped cream. Highlights included a rather wild and competitive Texas Hold'Em tournament, and Nicole going crazy over the whipped cream because she didn't know you could make it fresh from liquid cream (she thought you bought it in a can already whipped, or else CoolWhip). Hee hee.

Lots of stuff happening this weekend, so no posts till next week, AND I can't believe it's only 2 weeks until Berlin and the Christmas markets!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice Friday Post! Come on over to my blog and see my Thursday and Friday post together! Hope you are having a good holiday weekend!

Anonymous said...

HI Allison- missed you. This was the first time in over 10 years that I did not Black Friday shop. I am definietly looking forward to next year. Hope to see you soon!
Chris and the Burks