Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Paper folding

Not much to report on tonight-- today was the first day of a 3-day course for Practice Educators. It's a pre-requisite to being a supervisor, and since I'm scheduled to have a student for September and October, it's a good thing I got a place on the course. However, today I was very much wishing I was at work instead. It was pretty much worthless, and they basically just touched on stuff that I already did at Tufts, when I was learning about this situation from the other side: being the student on placement. The highlight was the practical small group session where we were supposed to teach each other a skill, and figure out how the person teaching was imparting their knowledge (i.e. giving verbal directions, demonstrating, using visual aids, getting their group members to learn by doing, etc). In our small group, someone taught paper airplanes, someone else taught fortune tellers (remember those?! you wrote numbers and colors and stuff on the outside), and then we moved on to tackle an origami bird. Yup, that was the best part. Hopefully it will be better tomorrow, fingers crossed.

No comments: