Monday, June 18, 2007

I did it!

So I survived the London to Brighton bike ride...and it actually wasn't too bad. There was a massive queue at one point trying to get out of London because there were some 60,000 cyclists on the road. That was frustrating because it took an hour to clear that small section of the route. But otherwise, it was a great ride through beautiful countryside, with some smallish hills, and one massively big hill at the very end, just before arriving in Brighton. We did it in about 6 hours, which would have been maybe four and half or five hours but for that big queue I've just described. I got separated from the rest of the group once, and stopped at pub where the owner took pity on me and let me use her phone to ring Nicole's boyfriend Dave and find out where they were so we could meet up again. And the only real casualty was Nicole, falling off her bike before we'd even started. She bumped into the curb and fell over just as we were about to join the race, and did a fair amount of damage to one of her shins...but she was a trooper and carried on with just a couple of band-aids I had on me, and then we stopped at a first aid tent so it could be properly tended. I have small scrapes and cuts all over both legs myself because when you're on the road with that many cyclists, things just happen-- people stop suddenly, etc.

Anyway, I'm barely functioning here at work today (absolutely knackered!), but I am here. So I suppose I'd better go back up the ward.

Hope everyone is well. Love, Allison

No comments: